Wednesday, November 18, 2009
Fabulous Bread pudding
day old bread~ 1 loaf
butter~ 1 stick
milk~ 2 cups
cream~ 1 cup
eggs~ 8 each
winter squash puree~ 1 1/2 cup
vanilla/ almond/ orange extract~ 2 teaspoons
brown sugar~3/4 cup
white sugar~ 1/2 cup
cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, garam masala or other spices~ to taste
(1 tablespoon cinnamon and 1 teaspoon any others)
* in a large bowl break bread into bite size pieces. melt 1/2 stick butter and drizzle over bread pieces.
* in small bowl combined milk, cream, eggs, extract of choice and squash puree
* in medium bowl combined sugars and spices
* pour liquid slowley into sugars whisking briskly until combined
* pour mixture over bread pieces
*cover and refrigerate for at least 3 hours or overnight
Preheat oven to 325. pour mixture into baking pan or bowl. cut remaining butter into small pieces and place on top of bread. bake for 40-60 mins or until set. serve warm with caramel sauce and ice cream.
variation~ raspberry white chocolate. use great harvest raspberry white chocolate bread. omit brown sugar and increase white sugar to 1 cup. omit pumpkin puree and spices. increase milk to 3 cups. serve with melted white choclate and fresh raspberries.